Sunday, April 5, 2009

ER Visit...

Yesterday I went to the ER to do some clinical hours and ended up as a patient. I had been having frequent PVC's for the past 24 hours along with a headache. I became a little nervous only because I would get real short of breath with each episode of PVC's. I called my doctor on the way to the ER and he wanted me to be seen in the ER for monitoring of my heart...funny how I was headed there anyway. As soon as I got there my friends were so excited to see me, they didn't realized I was there to be seen as a patient. After getting orders from the ER doctor, nurse Phillis quickly took me to a room and began hooking me up to the heart monitor. Nurse Trudy started an IV and drew some labs. I had three EKG's done and of course my heart would only show a single PVC on occasion. My labs came back showing increased WBC's indicating an infection. My urine came back negative and my AST and ALT were slightly elevated, but the doctor was still unable to determine the cause of infection. He did however determine that the fever and infection are the cause of my frequent PVC's. The ER doctor didn't want to start me on any antibiotics until we know the source, nor did he want to take any unnecessary x-rays. He did however give me some percocet for my headache, which only seemed to help for a short time. I asked to be called off from work today so I could just rest. So far I feel pretty good, still have a headache and have only had a one episode of PVC's. I want to Thank all my ER friends Penny, Trudy, Bridget, Phillis, Brenda, Karen, Darrick, Linda, Dr. Stan, Gina, Cami, Jeff, and anyone else I may have left out for taking such good care of me. I would also like to thank Rhett and Thone for giving me a blessing, and my wonderful husband for always being there for me. He is currently at the grocery store buying more food for me...I'm craving a grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup, and apple juice.
Although we had a minor scare yesterday this week has been overall a good week, I felt the babies move for the first time and they just love when I feed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment